Monday, February 6, 2012

out-cooked

B has done it again. He has out-cooked me. This trend, although delicious, is making me feel far inferior in the kitchen, a place where I feel like I should reign!!!

Poor hubs was sick last week and stayed home Friday to get some rest and dope himself up on medicines. Luckily, he also enjoyed some Food Network time and saw the most amazing Asian-inspired turkey burgers. Yes, it sounds VERY odd, I know. But omg!!! They were so good. I have one for lunch today too. I paired it with my Aunt Rose's Asian slaw recipe that I always love. Sorry there are no photos, since we didn't know they would turn out this good I didn't even think to grab my camera!

The burger recipe is so flavorful, I didn't even eat it with a bun - way to cut a few calories!! It didn't need any sauce or dip. It was perfect and moist, which can be hard for a turkey burger. Overall, we had a wonderful and healthy Superbowl Sunday.

Turkey Burger by Anne Burrell on Food Network:
-Extra virgin olive oil
-One onion, diced
-Salt
-Two cloves of garlic, smashed and finely chopped
-1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1-inch fresh piece of ginger, grated
-8 oz can of water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
-Half a bunch of cilantro leaves, finely chopped

Coat a large pan with olive oil. Add onions, season with salt and bring to a medium-high heat. Cook approximately 7-8 minutes, until onion is soft and aromatic. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Turn off heat and let cool.

In a large bowl combine turkey, soy sauce, ginger, water chestnuts, cilantro and cooked onion and garlic. Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water to keep the burgers moist. Using your hands, squish everything together, mixing well and form patties.

The recipe on Food Network suggests cooking the burgers in the pan used to cook the onion and garlic in but we decided to grill them since we also needed to grill chicken for B's lunch for the week. I loved the char on the outside of them and they were still moist inside.

Oriental Slaw:
-Cabbage or broccoli slaw
-Ramen
-Sunflower seeds
-Toasted slivered almonds
-Green onion
Dressing:
 -3/4 cup of canola or vegetable oil
-1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
-1/2 cup of brown sugar
-Soy sauce to taste

Mix the dressing ingredients together really well, so sugar dissolves. If you're using one bag of slaw, I would cut the dressing measurements in half. That much will create too much and drown the slaw. Put in refrigerator several hours or over night.

Combine the slaw ingredients. I eye it on how much to add of the ramen, almonds, onion and sunflower seeds. Its your own creation so just add what you like! When ready to serve mix the dressing in and serve. You won't be sorry! Its delicious and works so well with the burger.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment